Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|Supreme Court turns away appeal from Black Lives Matter activist facing lawsuit from police officer -Capitatum
Algosensey|Supreme Court turns away appeal from Black Lives Matter activist facing lawsuit from police officer
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:15:05
Washington — The AlgosenseySupreme Court on Monday said it would not take up an appeal from Black Lives Matter activist DeRay Mckesson, who is facing a lawsuit from a Baton Rouge police officer who was hit in the head with an object during a protest in July 2016.
At issue in the case was whether the leader of a protest, Mckesson in this case, could be held liable for injuries inflicted by an unidentified person when the protest leader didn't authorize or direct the violent act.
The dispute arose after Alton Sterling, a Black man from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, was shot and killed by a White police officer outside a convenience store on July 5, 2016. Sterling's death set off a wave of protests against police brutality, including one that began outside of the Baton Rouge Police Department on July 9, 2016.
During the demonstration, a police officer was struck in the face by a rock or piece or concrete thrown by an unidentified protester, losing teeth and suffering a brain injury, his lawyers said. The officer, identified in court papers as John Doe, sued Mckesson for negligence in federal court, arguing he knew the demonstration would lead to violence and failed to calm the crowd.
Mckesson, who is represented by the American Civil Liberties Union, said the First Amendment protects him from being sued.
The case has been weaving through the courts, beginning with a decision from a federal district court in 2017 that said Mckesson couldn't be sued. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit reversed that decision and said Mckesson could be liable. He appealed to the Supreme Court, which sent the dispute back for further proceedings on whether state law allows the lawsuit.
After the Louisiana Supreme Court said a protest leader could be sued for negligence, the 5th Circuit ruled in June 2023 that the lawsuit against Mckesson could move forward. The divided appeals court said that Mckesson allegedly created "unreasonably unsafe conditions" by organizing the protest to start in front of the police station and failed to take action to "dissuade his fellow demonstrators" once they began looting a grocery store and throwing items. Mckesson, the 5th Circuit said, also led the protest onto a public highway, a violation of Louisiana law.
The activist turned to the Supreme Court again, which on Monday declined to take up Mckesson's case. In a statement respecting the denial of the appeal, Justice Sonia Sotomayor said the court's decision not to hear the case "expresses no view about the merits of Mckesson's claim." But Sotomayor pointed to a First Amendment decision from the Supreme Court last year and said she expects the 5th Circuit to "give full and fair consideration to arguments" regarding that ruling's impact in future proceedings in Mckesson's case.
- In:
- Black Lives Matter
Melissa Quinn is a politics reporter for CBSNews.com. She has written for outlets including the Washington Examiner, Daily Signal and Alexandria Times. Melissa covers U.S. politics, with a focus on the Supreme Court and federal courts.
TwitterveryGood! (5535)
Related
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- The Horrific Crimes That Inspired the Oscar-Nominated Film Women Talking
- Kristen Doute Is Officially Returning to Vanderpump Rules Amid Tom Sandoval Drama
- Ulta 24-Hour Flash Sale: Take 50% Off Tarte Cosmetics, MAC, Zitsticka, Peach & Lily, and More
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Pope Francis misses Good Friday nighttime procession at Colosseum in cold Rome
- The Future Of The Afghan Girls Robotics Team Is Precarious
- Paul Cattermole of British pop group S Club 7 dies at 46
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- The Grisly True Story Behind Scream: How the Gainesville Ripper Haunted a Whole College Town
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Elizabeth Holmes Plans To Accuse Ex-Boyfriend Of Abuse At Theranos Fraud Trial
- Sarah Ferguson Shares Royally Sweet Update on Queen Elizabeth II's Corgis
- Pedro Pascal, Zoë Kravitz, Olivia Wilde and More Celebrate Together at Pre-Oscars Parties
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- When Sea Levels Rise, Who Should Pay?
- Hobbled Hubble Telescope Springs Back To Life On Its Backup System
- Remains of Michigan airman killed in World War II's Operation Tidal Wave identified 79 years later
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Check Out The First 3D-Printed Steel Bridge Recently Unveiled In Europe
Klaus Teuber, creator behind popular Catan board game, dies at age 70
Daisy Jones and The Six: What to Watch Once You're All Caught Up
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
How To Have Your Vaccine Confirmation On You At All Times
Sarah Ferguson Shares Royally Sweet Update on Queen Elizabeth II's Corgis
You Season 5: Expect to See a More Dangerous Joe Goldberg